Tolerate engine upgrades
Engine upgrades to date have been moderately bumpy and require a certain leap of faith.
There are two engines at work: the old one, and the new one. And often they have a difference of opinion about what's a misspelled word.
To the extent that the bot can recognize that it's being upgraded, I think it'd be nice if the bot could choose to run itself with the upgraded version instead of its current engine.
- The bot needs to know the path to the running workflow (I'm not sure how readily available this is).
- The bot checks to see if this file is being changed.
- It checks to see if the version of the bot is being changed
- If it is, the bot retrieves the new version (probably by making a copy of the current version, and then fetching and updating to the destination version)
- The bot calls the new version with its environment.
New environment variables from the new
action.yml file won't be available and I don't expect
with values would be either. It's really too hard to handle that case. (I'd have to reimplement
act's parsing which is probably overkill.)